Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Green your routine: Coconut oil

I love coconut oil. Coconut oil is something I recently did a lot of research about and decided I would definitely incorporate it into my beauty routine and I am not disappointed. If you want to learn more about coconut oil but just want your information from one spot, I'll help you out with that. Read Hybrid Rasta Mama's 160 Uses For Coconut Oil post. It truly is great information.

I use coconut oil as lotion. I literally buy a huge jar of coconut oil and slather it all over my body after my shower. You might think it would leave my body oily? No so. Coconut oil is highly absorbent, it will leave your skin oily for maybe 5 minutes and then it is absorbed into your skin- probably before you even get dressed. My skin is super smooth, I used to have really dry skin on my legs and that has completely healed itself. Coconut oil is food grade, so you can find it in the grocery section of your favorite store. I rarely use it in cooking though- isn't that weird?

But you totally can! You can use it in place of any oil.

I also use coconut oil in my homemade tooth paste recipe I use from Clean. I won't share the recipe here, use the link to her blog, she's created that recipe and deserves all the credit. Oh and check out her Organic Body Care business, you won't be sorry.

And yes I use homemade toothpaste! And my chops are clean!

A jar of coconut oil will last me several months, where lotion wouldn't last that long because it would take so much more to moisturize my body. I save a lot of money using coconut oil.

Plus I spare my body from synthetic moisturizers and chemicals such as parabens (they mock estrogen and can disrupt your body's hormones) and petroleums. Please dont put petroleum on your skin, ya'll. Just don't.

Peace! Hope you have learned something today!

1 comment:

  1. I use it too-------love it in my hair!!!!!! Genius website link!

    ReplyDelete