Friday, November 9, 2012

Low Carb Friday

  So, in my quest to feed my family low carb snacks and meals I am absolutely trying to find low carb low sugar substitutions for every day goodness.

  Today's win was a chocolate milkshake!!  Which actually wasn't a milkshake at all.  It was made with yogurt and an Atkins vanilla protein shake (1 carb and 1 gram of sugar).  I used the Atkins shake because I was out of milk... I won't normally use shakes to make this, but since I did, I did not have to add sweetener like I would have if it was just made with milk.  It was a hit with the boys, so here is the recipe:

  Low carb, Low sugar chocolate shake

  1 vanilla Atkins protein shake or 1/2-1 cup of milk
  1/8 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
  2 TB sugarfree chocolate syrup
  1 packet of stevia, or equal, splenda.. whatever your desire
  1/2 cup plain yogurt (preferably home made, but store bought is fine. It's all about probiotics)

Add all the ingredients in your blender and blend until combined.  You can add ice to make it a frozen treat.  I did not because I am out of ice too (ice maker is broken so we buy ice)

  If you are using plain milk instead of the atkins shake, add more sweetener to taste.

Note to all you Atkins dieters that know that yogurt is not low carb:

Homemade yogurt that is strained exceptionally well is relatively low carb.  The whey that is removed in the straining process contains the majority of the carbs... I've researched it.  1 serving of homemade yogurt strained to ridiculous thickness has around 8 carbs. Considering the recipe has 9 carbs in it and split between 3 boys, it's low carb. 

Happy Friday and have a delicious weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment